Saturday, February 5, 2011

Zach Wahls Speaks About Family

I believe that any two people in love deserve the right to marry. So does Zach Wahls. No matter what your thoughts are on marriage, and how it is defined, you should listen to him speak.



From IowaHouseDemocrats | February 01, 2011
"Zach Wahls, a 19-year-old University of Iowa student spoke about the strength of his family during a public forum on House Joint Resolution 6 in the Iowa House of Representatives. Wahls has two mothers, and came to oppose House Joint Resolution 6 which would end civil unions in Iowa. The fight to to keep marriage equality in Iowa continues, help us support Iowans like Zach. http://www.oneiowa.org/donate/donate-now"

Sigh, I'm a catholic who believes in marriage equality. Talk about being conflicted! The Catholic faith is such a big part of my family heritage, and therefore very important to me. So many of my childhood memories of my grandparents are wrapped up in religion. There are many Catholic values that I agree with and believe in. However, when my liberal views conflict with the Catholic faith I'm not sure how to define myself. Can one be a liberal Catholic? Appreciate the Catholic faith and yet wholeheartedly disagree with some Catholic views, rules & decisions? Well, I know that it 'can' happen; that's me. I supposed for now I'll continue to define myself as a conflicted Catholic. Someone who despite her church's views believes that straight or gay everyone deserves to publicly declare their love and commitment to one another...and to have that declaration legitimized by their government.

No comments: